Thursday, October 4, 2012

Oktoberfestivities... Ohne die Kinder!

That's the extent of my German.   It means "Without the Kids!"   Last weekend we hopped on a one hour flight to Munich, Germany with the McGraws to experience our first Oktoberfest.  This was also our first time to leave Paddy boy.  It was very nice to have an adults weekend, but I felt a constant nagging feeling, like I was forgetting something.  I did a key, phone and wallet check every five minutes.  The feeling went away once I got home and snuggled little man.  Claudia was pretty ticked we had left, but she perked up once we gave her her souveniers.  Oh, Bop. 
The opening weekend of Oktoberfest started off bright and sunny!


We enjoyed ourselves at the Augustiner beer house.   Augustiner beer has been brewed in Munich for over 500 years.  That makes this monastical beer (monastary brewed) beer the oldest in Germany.  They definitely have a good thing going.  I'm not much of a beer gal, but this stuff was pretty decent! 
  
The actual opening day of Oktoberfest was cold, wet and rainy.  Luckily, it takes more than a little rain to get those Germans down.  The party continued on with a parade and the first keg tapping at noon.  We were actually outside that day.  Everytime the rain picked up, everyone cheered, clanked their gigantic mugs and pounded down their beers.  We followed suit.  Well, to be honest, I tried.  I was definitely the weak link of our drinking team.

We ate lots of good food, drank countless beers, played lots of Cadillac and just enjoyed catching up with our best buddies. 

One night we visited the Löwenbräu house for dinner and more beer.  Löwenbräu means "lion's brew".   Another new beer I'd recommend.

The most exciting times were in the Augustiner tent.  It's not fair to call these things "tents", though. They are huge, with permanent frames and they hold thousands of Oktoberfesters.  The beer "ladies" carried about 10 beers (each roughly the size of your head) at a time and didn't seem a bit phased.   Russell managed to drink four beers at once.   Good job, Daddy boy!!   This was a weekend I'll not soon forget, but I sure am glad to be back to my sweet babies!
 
Happy Oktoberfest!

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, those are some of the biggest beers I've ever seen! Looks like a fun time with good friends!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...