commemorating the Soviet's expulsion of the Nazis from Hungary
But, being the red blooded American she is, she kept a cautious watch.
Its this little cup thing that swivels & rotates.
She loved it. LOVED IT!
being raced in front of Parliament.
I've given the history below if you're interested.
Claudia sat still for the whole show.
Pretty violent, huh?
I think that puppet on the left is strangling another puppet! Yikes!
Don't worry, though.
We saw Puss in Boots.
No violence, just lots of laughs.
Claudia with her Puss in Boots playbill.
CAUTION: This post is dripping with Hungarian history. I find it interesting though, so read on if you are interested too. Dear ole Daddyboy returned from Dallas last Saturday! We did some touristy stuff upon his return. First stop was the park at Szabadsag Ter (Liberty Square). It's one of the most tranquil parks in Budapest and Claudia loved the playground. The square is also home to the Soviet War Memorial, which commemorates "Liberation Day" - April 4, 1945 - when the Soviets forced the Nazis out of Hungary. Hungarians are somewhat torn over this monument, as the Soviets later subjugated the Hungarians and dropped the Iron Curtain on the country for several decades. A few blocks up from Liberty Square, you'll find the Parliament building. In front of Parliament there is a flag commemorating the 1956 Uprising wherein Hungarians rebelled against Communism and removed the communist seal the Soviets had added to the Hungarian flag. The revolt resulted in a massacre of many protestors. The Iron Curtain was not lifted until about 1991.
Here's the delimma that plagues Hungary. Do you (a) commemorate the Soviets for liberating Hungary from the Nazis or (b) sweep them under the rug for later oppressing the Hungarians for a better part of the twentieth century? As you can see, some people still gather and pay hommage to the Soviets. Of note, Hungary also has several monuments to American icons, including George Washington (the ultimate rebel!) & Harry Hill Bandholtz (US officer from WWI who protected Hungarian art from being looted during the war).
On a lighter note... we went to a Puppet Show on Sunday afternoon. It was at the Babsinhaz, an amazing puppet theater that has been in operation for over 60 years. They do two performances daily, to audiences of 300+. Their theatrics were slightly more elaborate than my Spring performance of Noah's Ark. We'll definitely go back for another show.

I read your blog every time you post but to forget to comment. It looks like there is SO much history and interesting things to do in Hungary. I get a lesson every time I read it! It's great! What a cool thing for your family to experience!
ReplyDeleteI love all the history and your photos.
ReplyDeleteAnd wow, domestic abuse must have been a hot topic in puppet theatre in the 60s. Those posters are disturbing!
I'm so glad y'all like the history. I'm captivated by all of it. Especially the WWI & WWII history. The violence of historical Hungarian puppet theater is also very important to document. =)
ReplyDeleteYou guys are so stinking blessed. How exciting to live in such a beautiful and historic city. CC is going to so cultured when you guys get back. She may even give Don a run for his money - I'd pay to see that. That puppet show looks so cool.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kelly. You are so right. When I start missing home, I remind myself that this IS an adventure and an opportunity. As for CC, she is totally emersed in Hungarian culture and now speaks fluent Hungarian. =)
ReplyDelete