Monday, April 15, 2013

Something's Got to Give

In this case, the "something" was my hip.   Take a look, here is my new, bionic hip bone.  Two weeks ago, Russell brought me to Austria for a hip replacement.  My sad, decayed hip bone, which had no cartilage between the hip bone and the pelvis, had been giving me pains for years, but eventually got unbearable.   My hip would lock into place, slide out of place, grind bone on bone.  This was not pleasant for me and dangerous and scary for the kids.   We finally reached the point where a hip replacement was absolutely necessary.  


And guess what?  I feel SO GOOD now.  The surgery lasted an hour and was an anterior hip replacement, which has a much shorter recovery time than the traditional posterior replacement.  I stayed in the hospital a week, doing PT and now I am home walking (or learning how to walk properly).   I just can't carry Patrick for a while and can't drive.  I'm getting better every day and am so glad I finally got the surgery.  
When we left for Austria two weeks ago, it was still snowing buckets.  Yuck.  No patio cookouts for spring... because there is a foot of snow on the patio furniture. 
This guy can walk in the snow, with the assistance of a finger hold.
Claudia pitched in and helped shovel the drive.  
But mostly did a lot of snow eating.

Dad built a ramp and C was able to catch some air sledding down the hill and off the ramp.
As for Patrick...

... little sweetie as always.



He has figured out how to turn on the phone, so I've now got it password protected.   He just looks at the screensaver (his picture) and smiles.
This is just funny.   There was a man (or lady?) in an Easter Bunny suit at Claudia's school for the Easter Assembly.  He (or she?) was kind of scary for the kids and didn't interest them much (maybe not at all?) ...
... until he (or she) attempted to sit down.  Missed that chair completely.  Kids LOVED it!

Being away from Patrick and Claudia for a week was the toughest part of the whole experience.  I missed their hugs, laughs and company.  It feels great to finally be back with them.   Best medicine I could ever get!!

10 comments:

  1. So sorry about your hip, but so glad you're feeling better already! And that cable knit sweater onesie- so adorable! Hope you get some signs of Spring soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are doing so well already! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hip replacement?! That's crazy! This sounds like something out of a bad Letterman joke...."Top 10 List of Things I Never Want to Do Again. At number 8: hip replacement surgery in an Austrian hospital....when I'm in excruciating pain in physical therapy learning how to walk again I'll have no idea what the PT nurse is yelling at me in Austrian. Run faster? Skip in circles? Ok!"

    ;) I know coming home to see those kiddos made you feel a lot better! Those sweet faces would brighten anyone's day! Big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH my goodness! I imagine its quite a change not to be able to drive and carry patrick. I pulled a muscle in my arm/neck last week and couldn't lift my kids. It was such an adjustment..Sounds silly compared to your surgery though! I'm so glad to hear you are healing quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww, no way, sorry about your hip!! But so glad you are on the mend and that it has made a big difference. Just think about what the kids will be making you do now! It must have been so hard being away from them, I bet they are really glad to have you home (and me too as I have missed your posts!) :) Spring has got to be on the way, seriously, we are all ready for it now! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodness! So sorry about your hip! I am glad you are getting well soon! I cannot imagine going through something like that! Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness!! So glad you are feeling better now!! I can't imagine needing a hip replacement so young.. and leaving two babies at home!! I'm sure you will enjoy each day so much more now being pain free! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. agh! so glad you are feeling better!!! rest up and enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ow ow ow! I'm glad that it all went well and you're feeling better, what an ordeal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you are feeling better! A hip replacement is a big deal! Ouch!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...